Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Never Honk at a Turkey(s)

I kind of associated turkeys with Thanksgiving feasts until I saw them parading on the roads here in the picturesque city I live in. Its fun to see them strutting around in their brown plumage quite oblivious to the traffic. Pretty much like their jay-walking chicken cousins, they are no good at negotiating the pavements.
Therefore, when I saw a whole bunch of them taking to the road that other day, I decided to use the car's highly under-used horn to just let them know it was not safe, especially when I am behind the wheels. I could sense the dilemma of the bird at the side of the road as the unfamiliar resonance fell on its ears, wherever those might be in its small beaky head.
Turns out, it was not alone in its feathered quandary. One of the turkeys that had in fact crossed the road safely to the other side decided to dash back and the one that should have stayed at the side of the road made a panicked run across it.
I did not have to hit the brakes, their lives were not in any imminent danger but the pandemonium that I unleashed upon them taught me a very important lesson in driving that no manual in the world will tell you - Never Honk At A Turkey(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment